POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : Re: JPEG2000 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG2000
From: ingo
Date: 7 Mar 2004 12:57:26
Message: <Xns94A5C0D7BE71Cseed7@news.povray.org>
in news:d1bm40hmv75jeiuj3cp3v1382aon91bpk9@4ax.com IMBJR wrote:

> 2. Representation of 16-bit colour depth. Very good, since POV-Ray is
> capable of producing 16-bit colour depth images. The downside is the
> receiving machine's capabilites in regards to this, but at least the
> 16-bit intent is preserved.

Just wondering, what does Irfanview do to 6 bit jpeg200 images. Does it
show it as a 16 bit image or does it downsample it? Most software does
for 16 bit png's.

In general, 16 bit images have their purposes, but i.m.o. showing images
on monitors is not one of them. The main advantage of 16 bit images over
8 bit images is the extended contrast range. A contrast range that a crt
can't show and lcd / plasma screens are even worse in this regard.

16 bit images are nice for photographic printing on slide material as
they can show a bigger contrast range. 16 bit images are nice as an
intermediate format between rendering and showing on screen as an 8 bit
image. It gives you the possibility to control contrast a lot better by
converting to 8 / 12 / whatever bit images using a controlable transfer
function. In this regard, search for some of Kari Kivisalo's work on
this newsserver.

If the intent is preservation of the original, I would not use any lossy
compression.

'Pushing' towards a "standard" or even a new format in these greedy
times, knowing that there are patent issues i.m.o. is a folly of the
jpeg committee.

In general, I don't care in what format an image or animation is posted.
If I can't see it, so be it.

Ingo